6/12/2016

The Eiken test

I haven't updated my blog to prepare for the Eiken test.

I appreciate those who visited my blog although I hadn't updated it.

I devoted my time for preparing for the Eiken test since the end of May.

Since I noticed that my weak point was a lack of vocabularies, I concentrated on remembering frequently-appearing words.


Finally, I took the Eiken Grade Pre-1 yesterday.

I slept longer than usual so as not to be sleepy during the test.

Before I left home, my children told me:

"Good luck, Mom!"

And they hugged me.

"Thank you! I am encouraged by you. I will give it a try."


When I reached the college where I took the test, I was surprised that there were some elementary school students with their mothers in the room of the Grade Pre-1.

Most of examinees were students, but with regard to the Grade Pre-1, there were men and women of all ages.


The test was difficult, especially Part 2 of the listening part was really difficult.

I am not good at catching proper nouns.

For example, I couldn't catch "sand eels" and "kittiwakes" in one of the dialog.

I wonder how I can catch such an unknown proper noun.

Thanks to the practice of writing this blog, the writing part was not so difficult.

The multiple-choice questions, which was my biggest challenge, were also difficult.

I guessed some answers and marked them.


If I am able to pass it, I will take the secondary examination of the  speaking test.

But I don't think I will be able to pass the primary examination.

Since answers to the test will be posted on the Eiken website, I will check it and try marking my answers.



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2:

    This line:
    "Thank you! I was encouraged by you. I will give it a try."

    Should be:
    "Thank you! I am encouraged by you. I will give it a try."

    Reason: I changed was to am because you had not yet done the test. Was implies that you did the test and later said to your children that it gave you some encouragement. Whereas what I think you mean is that your children hoped you would do well and that at that point in time it encouraged you.

    This line:
    The test was difficult, especially the Part 2, the listening part was really difficult.

    Should be:
    The test was difficult, especially (the second part/the 2nd part/Part 2), the listening part was really difficult.

    Reason: Very often when you use words Part X where X is a number for example Part 1, Part 2 for example you leave off the starting the:

    Part 1 of the test was easy - sounds correct
    In Part 2 I knew all the answers - sounds correct
    The Part 1 of the test was easy - sounds odd
    In the Part 2 I knew all the answers - sounds odd

    If you want to leave the intact then the sentence could be written as:
    The test was difficult, especially the 2nd part, the listening part was really difficult.

    This line:
    I am always not good at catching proper nouns.

    Should be:
    I am not good at catching proper nouns.

    Reason: Extra word was not needed. Just saying not good implies that you are consistently not good at something. If you were only sometimes not good at something then you would have to specify:

    I am often not good at catching proper nouns (implies that you frequently are not good at something but sometimes you do okay).

    I am very often good at catching proper nouns (implies that most of the time you are good at something but not always)

    This line:
    I wonder how I can catch such a unknown proper noun.

    Should be:
    I wonder how I can catch such an unknown proper noun.

    This line:
    The four-choice questions, which was my biggest challenge, were also difficult.

    Reason: The above line is not technically grammatically wrong but in general when writing in English we often just say multiple-choice questions rather than indicating the number of choices. So your sentence could be rewritten as:
    The multiple-choice questions, which was my biggest challenge, were also difficult.

    Or if you want to still include how many questions you could choose from:
    The multiple-choice questions which had 4 answers in each, which was my biggest challenge, were also difficult.

    This line:
    Since answers of the test will be posted on the Eiken website, I will check it and try marking my answers.

    Should be:
    Since answers to the test will be posted on the Eiken website, I will check it and try marking my answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry!
      Thank you for the collections again.
      I usually use the spelling checker of Blogger, but I didn't use it yesterday because I updated my blog after a long interval, so i forgot using it!
      Anyway, thank you for your advice.

      Delete
    2. Ah I see.

      Also I am not sure why but Part 1 of the post for me is not being shown. I assume that you saw it if so I will not repost. If not I will repost it.

      Delete
    3. Hi Terry.
      I could read Part 1, I recieved your comment via Gmail.

      Delete