7/07/2016

It's too late

My husband came home at 7pm with a branch of bamboo grass.

Since he usually comes home after our children go to bed, they were excited that he came early.

But I was disappointed to see the branch of bamboo grass which he had, because yesterday was Tanabata (Star festival) and it was too late to bring it home.

We were not able to decorate it only one day and we will have to put it away on July 8th.

Furthermore, it was nothing more than an increase in my work because my 6-year-old daughter would need a help to make the strip of paper and ornaments.

"You should have brought it home more early. We have already made the strips of papers for her nursery's Tanabata festival!"

But my husband didn't give up, and started making them with my daughter.

I was surprised at him because he didn't sleep yesterday because he was too busy for his work.

Nevertheless, he tried to enjoy the Japanese events with our children.

He and I have the same parenting policy that we want to let our children experience Japanese traditional events.

He must be tired and sleepy, but he helped that my daughter made the strips of paper.

I am proud of him as a good father, and our children loves their dad very much.

But I want him to get a enough sleep.



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


1 comment:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    It is a good thing that your husband makes the time for his children even when he is very tired and overworked.

    We have a saying here "It's the thought that counts". It basically means that it's important that someone thinks of other people regardless of the circumstances. So in your husband's case he may have been late with the branch but "it's the thought that counts".

    Here is a list of some of the other issues found with the rest of the post:

    This line:
    We were not able to decorate it only one day and we will have to put it away on July 8th.

    Should be:
    We were not able to decorate it for only one day and we will have to put it away on July 8th.

    Reason: Filler word "for" added to make sentence sound slightly more natural.

    This line:
    Furthermore, it was nothing more than an increase in my work because my 6-year-old daughter would need a help to make the strip of paper and ornaments.

    Should be:
    Furthermore, it was nothing more than an increase in my work because my 6-year-old daughter would need help to make the strips of paper and ornaments.

    Reason: Removed "a" as it is not needed. Strip was changed to strips as it would be plural as there is more than one strip.

    This line:
    "You should have brought it home more early. We have already made the strips of papers for her nursery's Tanabata festival!"

    Should be:
    "You should have brought it home earlier. We have already made the strips of papers for her nursery's Tanabata festival!"

    Reason: Generally when you want to express that you wish an event happen at a more recent point in time we use "earlier" and not more early:

    Examples:
    I have been tired recently so I have decided to go to bed earlier, so as to wake up earlier.
    Earlier that day I had cleaned the floor.
    At an earlier time in my life I would have gone on the around the world trip.
    The store had closed earlier than I expected and I was not able to get the food I needed.

    This line:
    I was surprised at him because he didn't sleep yesterday because he was too busy for his work.

    Should be:
    I was surprised at him because he (had not slept/didn't sleep) yesterday because he was too busy (with his work/at work).

    Reason: Added "had not slept" as an alternative way of saying didn't sleep. As it shows the past tense version of sleep "slept". "For his work" sounds odd and could be reworded with "with his work/at work".

    This line:
    He must be tired and sleepy, but he helped that my daughter made the strips of paper.

    Should be:
    He must be tired and sleepy, but he helped my daughter make the strips of paper.

    Reason: Removed word "that" as it was not needed. Changed word "made" to "make" as this sounds more natural. Technically "made" is the past tense version of "make" so you would think that "made" would be the write word to use in your sentence, unfortunately this is one of those exceptions of English where the rules seem not to be followed sensibly.

    If you wish to use "made" you could rewrite your sentence as follows:

    He must be tired and sleepy, but together with my daughter they made the strips of paper.

    This line:
    I am proud of him as a good father, and our children loves their dad very much.

    Should be:
    I am proud of him as a good father, and our children love their dad very much.

    Reason: "loves" was changed to "love" as this sounds more natural.

    This line:
    But I want him to get a enough sleep.

    Should be:
    But I want him to get enough sleep.

    Reason: "a" was removed as it was not needed.

    ReplyDelete